Dr. Mak is the CEO of Edtrix Solutions, an entity for educational and technology training and consultancy. He is also the CEO of Edtrix Innovation Pte. Ltd. that focuses on the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Teaching and Learning. The company also developed SmartzWerkz™ – an online Assessment platform that is in transition via AI to be adaptive and automate the grading of assessments.
Dr. Mak has a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.). He completed his Masters of Science (MSc) degree in Management of Technology at the National University of Singapore in 2000. In 1994, he obtained his Bachelor of Science (Merit) in Chemistry and Mathematics from the National University of Singapore.
Dr. Mak is also a Smart Education Consultant, focusing on 3 areas of Smart Education, namely (1) Automated Grading of Essays; (2) Adaptive Learning and Assessment, and (3) Learning Companion.
He has been invited to be on the Academic Board of Ngee Ann Academy to review the academic rigor of the courses, as well as scrutinize the use of Educational Innovations in Teaching and Learning.
Being passionate in research and training, he ventured into the academic and research domains as a lecturer at Temasek and Ngee Ann Polytechnic. His research capacity started at SIM University as a Research Associate, and National Institute of Education (Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practices (CRPP). He is author and co-author of numerous international journals and conference papers.
He was able to apply his experience in Learning Technology areas at the Singapore Polytechnic and Yale-NUS College where he was the Associate Director for Educational Resources & Technology. At the Institute for Adult Learning (IAL), Innovation Lab (iN.LAB), he curated 4 major learning initiatives namely InnovByte, InnovLogue, InnovJam and InnovPlus that are still in running. He started his career in the area of training and multimedia development, and Managing Director and Founder of Pyrady Systems Inc Pte Ltd in 1997 to focus on multimedia training development for the telecommunications and semiconductor industries.
Teaching Current Courses
Dr. Mak is currently teaching the following courses at Tertiary InfoTech:
1) Coffee Personality and You;
2) Manage Your Email or Your Email will Manage You!;
3) MoodleCloud LMS Essential Training;
4) Creating Dynamic eLearning Content with iSpring Suite;
5) The ONE Thing to Extraordinary Results (upcoming);
6) The 7-UPs to success in your endeavors (upcoming);
7) Optimal Success Experience (OSX) (upcoming); and
8) Coping with Death: For those who dedicate their lives for the lives of others – for Medical Professionals. http://www.copingwithdeath.online
Plans are also in the pipeline to launch more short courses with MDIS and Kaplan Singapore.
1) Smart Education (in progress)
2) Coping with Death: For those who dedicate their lives for the lives of unrelated others
Dr. Mak provides research services on a project basis or by time-basis depending on the nature of the research.
I have experiences in the following area of research:
1. Quantitative Analysis – Statistical Testing and Factor Analysis; and
2. Qualitative Analysis – Observations, Interviews & Focus Groups;
Affiliations and Resellers
2. Vyond (video animation software);
3. Scribo partner with GSA Pte Ltd (Singapore) and Literatu Ltd. (Australia);
4. CourseNetworking: https://www.thecn.com/
1. Factor Analysis, Focus Group
– Doctoral Thesis
The comparison between Team-Based Learning and e-Team-Based Learning (Synchronous and Asynchronous) in a Chemistry cohort
2. Statistical testing, Interviews, and Observations
– MSc (Management of Technology) Thesis
Examining the impact of web-based training and experience on spreadsheet error detection
3. Factor Analysis
– W.K. Mak and Y.P. Chew (2010). The use of Audience Response Technology (ART) via SMS for a Marketing Course. ICT2010, Singapore, 30 June – 2 July 2010. [Nominated for Best Paper (Full Paper) Award].
– W.K. Mak and C. P Goh (2008). E-Learning – The use of Audience Response Technology (ART) via SMS in large lecture class. Paper presented at the 5th International Conference on e-Learning for Knowledge-Based Society, Bangkok, Thailand. 11-12 Dec 2008. Published in Special Issue of International Journal of the Computer, the Internet and Management (IJCIM).
– Palia, Aspy P. and Mak Wai Keong, “An Online Evaluation of The COMPETE Online Decision Entry System (CODES)”. Accepted for publication in: Developments in Business Simulation and Experiential Learning, Vol. 28, Proceedings of the Twenty-eighth Annual Conference (Changing the Way Educators View Learning) of the Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (April 4-6, 2001). (Triple blind refereed).
4. Survey, Observation, and Interview
– Lim, C. P., Mak, W. K., & Tay, L. Y. (2005, May/June). Engaging students in a game-like 3D multi-user virtual environment. Paper presented at the international conference on education, Redesigning Pedagogy: Research, Policy, Practice, National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
– Lim, C. P., Mak, W. K., & Hedberg, J. (2005, October). Situating a 3D game-like multi-user virtual environment in the primary school curriculum. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Educational Communication and Technology, Orlando, FL.
A private entity that focuses on Education and Training consultancy, including e-learning, micro-learning and learner profiling. Edtrix Solutions was in operation since 2003 and conducted many research consultancy to schools and organisations.
Edtrix Innovations Pte. Ltd. focuses on 3 areas of Smart Education, namely
(1) Automated Grading of Essays;
(2) Adaptive Learning and Assessment; and
(3) Learning Companion (under the IMDA Open Innovation Platform and AI SG).
It’s SmartzWerkz™ platform uses AI to provide an adaptive online assessment portal that is launched in Malaysia targeting English as a Second Language (ESL). Edtrix Innovations intends to disrupt the norm to provide grading services to schools so that teachers can do their best job, i.e. teaching. This will afford the immediacy of feedback, crucial to writing good essays for students’ assignments.
1. Professional Member, Singapore Computer Society
2. Member, Smart Cities Network, (Smart Education)
3. Member, Smart Cities World
4. Member: Singularity University
5. Member, Team-Based Learning™ Collaborative
6. Academia: https://waikeongmak.academia.edu/
7. Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Wai_Keong_Mak3